Update: Tropical Storm Isaias could reach Florida Friday night
Budding tropical storm eyes Florida
If it stays north of the island and maintains a circulation over water, however, "There could be some development or certainly moisture approaching Florida, or even [elsewhere on] the southeast coast of the United States," he said.
Warnings and watches issued for Potential Tropical Cyclone Nine
A tropical storm warning is in effect for:
- Puerto Rico, Vieques, Culebra
- U.S. Virgin Islands
- British Virgin Islands
- Montserrat, St. Kitts, Nevis, and Anguilla
- St. Martin, and St. Barthelemy
- Saba and St. Eustatius
- St. Maarten
- Dominican Republic entire southern and northern coastlines
- North coast of Haiti from Le Mole St Nicholas eastward to the northern border with the Dominican Republic
- Turks and Caicos Islands
- Southeastern Bahamas including the Acklins, Crooked Island, Long Cay, the Inaguas, Mayaguana, and the Ragged Islands
体育投注betA tropical storm watch is in effect for:
- Central Bahamas, including Cat Island, the Exumas, Long Island, Rum Cay, and San Salvador
Hazards affecting land
Wind: Tropical storm conditions are moving across portions of the Leeward Islands and will spread across the U.S. and British Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico this afternoon through Thursday morning. These conditions are forecast to reach portions of the Dominican Republic and Haiti within the warning area early Thursday, and the southeastern Bahamas and Turks and Caicos Thursday afternoon. Tropical storm conditions are possible in the watch areas on Thursday and Friday.
Rainfall: The potential tropical cyclone is expected to produce the following rain accumulations:
- Across the northern Leeward Islands, British and U.S. Virgin Islands: 3 to 6 inches.
- Across Puerto Rico: 3 to 6 inches, with isolated maximum totals of 10 inches.
- Across the Dominican Republic, northern Haiti and the Turks and Caicos: 3 to 6 inches, with isolated maximum totals of 8 inches.
- Across the Inagua Islands: 4 to 8 inches, with isolated totals of 12 inches.
体育投注betThese rainfall amounts could lead to life-threatening flash flooding and mudslides, as well as potential riverine flooding.
Surf: 体育投注betSwells generated by Potential Tropical Cyclone Nine will be affecting portions of the Leeward Islands, the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico during the next day or two. These swells are forecast to reach the north coast of the Dominican Republic, the Turks and Caicos Islands and the southeastern Bahamas tonight or Thursday. These swells are likely to cause life-threatening surf and rip current conditions.
Want more weather news? If you're already a subscriber, thank you! If not, please subscribe and help keep your news coming.